Monday, July 28, 2014

A Simple Book

I've always been fascinated by hand bound books.  So when I had the opportunity to take a class on Japanese 'stab binding' I jumped on it!  


Each place at the table had a kit waiting for us that we would make two rectangle shaped books from.  We then were able to chose the papers we wanted for the books.


This is the paper I picked for my 'hard' cover book.


And this is my soft cover book.  It is the book we started with.

You get everything cut the same, then clamp it down so it doesn't move.  Then with an awl you push through to make holes in the pattern of the binding you have chosen to do.


Then it is time to start stitching.  


It is slow work because if you pull too hard on the needle as you work it through... it breaks.


Almost done!


And here is my finished book!


I used different colors pages 'just because'.  I'm not yet sure what I'm going to use it for.  But it will be for something special, that much I already know!!


3 comments:

  1. I love making books too, never knew this had a name though, I have learned something from you...thanks..lol...
    A really fabulous project..
    Thanks for sharing with us at CraftyCatz this week.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Great tutorial!
    Thanks for linking up over at 2 Creative Chicks

    Have a creative day.
    Pam
    ♥ Scrap N Sew Granny ♥
    ♥ Pam's Stitched With Love ♥


    ReplyDelete